Thursday, October 8, 2015

A "FLOCK" OF DISTRESSED BIRDS

Hi there, 

Glad you stopped by today, I've got a fun technique which I have played with before, Coloring on Flocking.  This time however, I used Distress Inks and Distress Markers to "color" my Snow White Flocking.  Even the sentiment is stamped on flocking!

Happy Bird Day

I used the other bird set (Wilson) from the October Reveal. Here are the ingredients I used to make my card:

Ingredients for Happy Bird Day

Distress Inks: Dusty Concord, Spiced Marmalade, Aged Mahogany
Distress Ink Markers: Pine Needles, Dusty Concord, Aged Mahogany, Spiced Marmalade, Black Soot

So let's start with the background, shall we?  I cut a piece of 4" x 5 1/4" Super Adhesive sheet and attached it to a piece of white cardstock. I removed the protective backing and covered the entire piece with Snow White Flocking, burnishing it in well with my finger tool.  I opened the Cuttlebug Leafy Branch embossing folder and applied Memento Summer Sky ink to the raised background of the folder. Taking the "fall" colored Distress Markers I then colored in the depressed areas. I "huffed" to remoisten everything as it took a few minutes to color in all the leaves.

P1450720

The white flocked piece was placed in the folder so that the flocking was face down to the inked side. It was run through the embossing machine to provide this gorgeous result:

P1450721

So then on to the birds! Since the Distress markers are dye based, I used Black Staz-On as my choice of ink. NB: If you prefer to use alcohol markers then you should stamp with Memento ink. I'm using the dye-based markers as I wanted to use the matching ink pads.
I took a piece of 2 1/2" Tear-ific Tape and attached it to white cardstock. I removed the protective backing and then applied the Snow White Flocking. The stamp was inked  up with the black StazOn and stamped directly on top of the flocking:

P1450723

Then get coloring!

P1450725

What I found with the Distress inks, that matched the Markers, is that I could daub the color directly to certain areas. This gives a more even look than using the markers. It's also a much quicker way to color bigger sections. When you use the daubers, just mask out the certain areas that you don't want colored. You can see the difference in the coloring with markers versus the daubers by looking at the tall bird. His belly was daubed, but I used the marker (Aged Mahogany) for his back. The marker produces a darker and more textured look. 



For the birds below. I daubed both of them (except for the masked eyes, beaks, belly and the legs).

P1450733

P1450734

Then they were all fussy cut!

On to the sentiment. I thought I'd see if it worked - and guess what? It did!
I placed a scrap of Super Adhesive Sheet on a piece of orange cardstock and removed the protective backing. I then applied Snow White Flocking and burnished it in well with my finger. I then inked up the sentiment stamp with Dusty Concord and stamped directly on top of the flocking. I loved the result. It was very clean and vivid. I hand cut it in to a fish tail banner.

P1450735

To put the card together, I layered the background on to a piece of purple cardstock and then to an orange card base. It was then just a case of placing the birds and the sentiment with some Dimensional Foam, though I did use 1/8" Tear-ific tape at the feet of the birds so that the heads kind of popped up to give the card a little more dimension. Now looking at the photo it looks like the little guy on the right has bunny ears! 

P1450736

Hope I've inspired you to get more colors from your flocking! It can be whatever color you want, or at least whatever color of markers and ink pads you own!

Have fun!

Shona

12 comments:

  1. Love these darling little fuzzy guys! LOL You are so clever, Shona! I wondered how you colored each of those leaves, and now I see it was via an embossing folder! And even the sentiment is flocked! Your creations always inspire me - such pretty techniques to create any style card - and often, it is the combinations of your techniques which makes your art especially meaningful, (often humorous and endearing) (and oh-so-pretty!). Love this card! hugs, de

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun experiment and great results. TFS I have some new techniques to try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous card and great technique! Love everything about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous card and great technique! Love everything about it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shona, Love those birds. They are so "in" right now. LOL Flocking is the perfect product to use on these guys.Great card

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just ordered the Wilson set - it looks like I will be adding to my collection. Bird families can be so much fun and I am into humor! Your make is wonderful - how in the world did you ever come up with this genius of a technique!
    sandy xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shona this is another amazing technique, you tutorial is wonderful as usual and the result of it all is absolutely fabulous, those birds and the sentiment are just Superb. I had to chuckle at the images and especially the sentiment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You made such a darling card and I must say I really like this set of stamps. So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful card. I love those little birds. Thanks for sharing the technique. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely darling! Is little birds are super cute and I love how you did the shading and in so many different colors! So sweet!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is just simply adorable, and thank you for taking time to photo the steps, explaining so clearly exactly how you achieved these excellent looks. I've got flocking, but never had the courage to use it. Love that you used the ink ef and then colored in the elements before doing the embossing..what a wonderful look. These birds are just so goofy and cute, and this card is just delightful. So many interesting techniques, and great tip to use the dauber for the softer effects. Would never have thought to try to use markers to color the flocking but it's a super look! Great design, and brilliant card. TFS & Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  12. Birds are "HOt" at this moment, yours looks wonderfull!! your card looks amazing, and thanks for showing us how to make it!!!

    Have a nice stamping time, and enjoy!!

    Greetings
    Maria

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and letting me share in part of your day. I would love to hear what you think about my latest creation!